SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.13 número2Determination of di(2-etilhexil) adipate in waters of lake Ypacarai by dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction índice de autoresíndice de assuntospesquisa de artigos
Home Pagelista alfabética de periódicos  

Serviços Personalizados




  • Não possue artigos citadosCitado por SciELO

Links relacionados


Reportes científicos de la FACEN

versão impressa ISSN 2222-145X


MENDOZA, Laura et al. Mycobiota associated with yerba mate sold in Paraguay. Rep. cient. FACEN [online]. 2022, vol.13, n.2, pp.175-182. ISSN 2222-145X.

Yerba mate (Ilex paraguariensis) is a widely consumed herb which originated in Paraguay but grows widely in the region between Southern Brazil, Northern Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay. The plant is reported to possess multiple medicinal properties which makes yerba mate popular for consumption as tea in this region. It is also being considered as a nutraceutical product and a functional food consumed in different countries around the world. In popular medicine, and it has been scientifically reported to possess multiple properties. Thirty-nine brands of yerba mate samples were analyzed by serial dilution plates. and incubated

at 25 ° C for 5 days. Based on their morphological characteristics, the fungal incidence and the number of colonies forming units were determined. Of the 39 samples analyzed, 15.4% were free from the presence of fungi and yeasts. The remaining 84.6% of the samples were contaminated with variable contents of the fungi Aspergillus. The presence of Aspergillus sections nigri, flavi, circumdati, fumigati, wentii, usti, versicolor and Emericella nidulans was observed the most prevalent among them was Aspergillus section nigri, representing 65.3%. Considering the health risks associated with these fungi, it is important to consider formulating regulations regarding the particle size and the presence of ochratoxins and aflatoxins in commercial yerba mate products.

Palavras-chave : innocuity; food safety; fungi; herbal; risk.

        · resumo em Espanhol     · texto em Espanhol     · Espanhol ( pdf )