SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.9 issue2 author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




  • Have no cited articlesCited by SciELO

Related links

  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO


Revista del Nacional (Itauguá)

Print version ISSN 2072-8174


PINTOS FERNANDEZ, Pedro Mariano; RAMIREZ SOTOMAYOR, Julio; GONZALEZ, Mercedes Gardenia  and  BERDEJO FIGUEREDO, Diego Moisés. Intestinal intussusception due to an inflammatory fibroid polyp (vanek tumor). Rev. Nac. (Itauguá) [online]. 2017, vol.9, n.2, pp.77-83. ISSN 2072-8174.

Intussusception in an adult must make us suspect the presence of a tumor (benign or potentially dangerous) as the most frequent cause. Accurate diagnosis is of great importance in order to provide appropriate treatment and improve patient prognosis1.

About 90% of these cases occur in the small intestine and colon, and the remaining 10% originate in the stomach and surgically created ostomas2. In adults, approximately 90% of cases of intussusception are secondary to a definable lesión3.

The Vanek's tumor or inflammatory fibroid polyp (IFP) is a rare benign lesion of submucosal location, not encapsulated, that may be located throughout the digestive tract, being more common in the gastric antrum (80%), although it has also been described in the gastroesophageal junction, duodenum, jejunum, ileum and colon4.

Keywords : intussusception; intestinal polyp; vanek tumor..

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )