SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.1 número1 índice de autoresíndice de assuntospesquisa de artigos
Home Pagelista alfabética de periódicos  

Serviços Personalizados




  • Não possue artigos citadosCitado por SciELO

Links relacionados

  • Não possue artigos similaresSimilares em SciELO


Memorias del Instituto de Investigaciones en Ciencias de la Salud

versão On-line ISSN 1812-9528


TORRES, E; ASCURRA, M  e  RODRIGUEZ, S. Prevalence of chromosomal anomalies in couples with adverse reproductive outcomes. Mem. Inst. Investig. Cienc. Salud [online]. 2002, vol.1, n.1, pp.37-43. ISSN 1812-9528.

ABSTRACT Reproduction incapacity may be caused by sterility or infertility problems. Infertility problems include spontaneous abortions and stillborn babies. The objective of this study was to determine the prevalence of chromosomal anomalies and variants in couples with sterility or infertility, when no other causes were detected. These couples attended the Genetics Department of the Instituto de Investigaciones en Ciencias de la Salud between 1995 and 1999. Cultures of peripheral blood lymphocytes and chromosomal analysis, using standard techniques and G-C banding techniques were performed. Fifty three couples were analysed (106 samples), 13% of the cases consulted because of sterility while infertility was mentioned by the remaining 87%. Thirteen percent of the cases presented chromosomal anomalies, a numeral anomaly was found in 23% of them, a structural alteration in 8% and chromosomal variants in 69%. The results of this study reinforce the concept that sterility or infertility problems of unknown cause could have a chromosomal origin. Therefore, we suggest a cytogenetic evaluation of these patients once all other causes have been excluded.

Palavras-chave : Sterility; infertility; chromosomal variants; fragile sites.

        · resumo em Espanhol     · texto em Espanhol     · Espanhol ( pdf )


Creative Commons License Todo o conteúdo deste periódico, exceto onde está identificado, está licenciado sob uma Licença Creative Commons