SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.41 issue1Clinical, Laboratory, and Therapeutic Characteristics of Infants and Children Hospitalized for Dengue Fever: a Comparative StudyLate-Infantile Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinoses (Jansky-Bielschowsky Disease): a Study of a Series of Cases author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand

Journal

Article

Indicators

  • Have no cited articlesCited by SciELO

Related links

  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO

Share


Pediatría (Asunción)

On-line version ISSN 1683-9803

Abstract

BRITEZ, Sebastián et al. Vertical Transmission of Dengue: Review of a Case Series. Pediatr. (Asunción) [online]. 2014, vol.41, n.1, pp.25-31. ISSN 1683-9803.

Introduction: Dengue is the most common mosquito-borne disease in humans. Vertical transmission of the dengue virus has been described sporadically, and this means of transmission must be kept in mind for newborns, especially during epidemics. Objective: We present a series of cases of newborns with dengue fever seen at the neonatology Department of the Hospital de Clínicas in San Lorenzo, Paraguay. Methodology: A descriptive study of a series of cases. A total of 10 newborns born to mothers with dengue fever in the peripartum thereafter developed the disease. Auxiliary laboratory testing include series of blood and NS1 antigen tests, which in some cases showed specific IgM. Results: From 2011 to 2013, 10 cases of vertical transmission of dengue were recorded, 70% in male patients, and 70% in full-term pregnancies of appropriate birth weight, while 60% were hospitalized at the time of diagnosis, and the remaining 40% re-hospitalized. Of the total, 100% were febrile and 30% showed skin manifestations. Onset of symptoms occurred at an average of 6.6 days. Average hospital stay was 11.7 days. Expansion by parenteral hydration was required for 6 patients. Capillary extravasation was seen in 50% of cases. Leukopenia was seen in 80%, average hematocrit ratio was 57.4% (80% of newborns with hemoconcentration); moderate to severe thrombocytopenia in 90%, with lowest points occurring in days 4 to 6 of disease. NS1 antigen was positive in 90% and IgM serum positive in 40%. All the newborns (100%) were discharged. Conclusion: This information suggests that it would be prudent to monitor newborns in a hospital setting until day 7 of life and that a management protocol for dengue in pregnancy and in newborns based on current experience should be drafted.

Keywords : Dengue; newborns; vertical transmission.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )

 

Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License